- China: Man's penis stolen in his sleep—Digital Spy, 25th July 2012
- England: Manchester uni puts faith in praying booth—The Guardian, 26th July 2012. May I suggest that studying is a far more effective technique?
- India: Couple, accused of witchcraft, forced to consume human waste—The Hindu, 21st July 2012
- India: Woman suspected of witchcraft hacked to death in Vizianagram—Times of India, 21st July 2012
- India: Row over witchcraft may have killed 12-year-old: Police—Times of India, 22nd July 2012
- Kenya: Elderly couple rescued from Bamburi mob—The Star, 25th July 2012.
An elderly couple in Bamburi was on Sunday evening rescued by police from a lynch mob who accused them of practising witchcraft.
- Malawi: Malawi court fines 3 men for planting ‘magic landmine’: Witchcraft—Nyasa Times, 22nd July 2012. Their crime seems to have been wasting their own time on pointless woo.
- Nepal: Nepal to crack down on witchcraft accusations—Khabar South Asia, 25th July 2012
- Scotland: Glasgow’s archbishop-elect links MP’s death to gay lifestyle—The Scotsman, 25th July 2012. The new Archbishop is a homophobic cunt for whom a penis-shaped hat is appropriate.
- United States: Court rejects abuse case based on repressed memory—WSOC TV, 25th July 2012. Interestingly, this is a clergy abuse case against a cleric who was defrocked for child abuse some time ago. There is no dispute over that, just over whether "repressed memories" are acceptable as evidence.
- United States: NJ's
Virgin MaryTree Draws Believers AND Accusations Of Witchcraft, Devilry—Gothamist, 23rd July 2012. Looks like a vagina to me.
- Zimbabwe: Man killed over witchcraft—NewsDay, 25th July 2012.
A man ... was last week reportedly killed by his relatives accusing him of causing his father’s death through witchcraft.
- Zimbabwe: Police arrest self-confessed satanist—Newsday, 25th July 2012. Sounds like someone in need of treatment in a secure mental health facility -
An 18-year-old self-confessed satanist who allegedly admitted to having killed his employer’s 12-year-old daughter by slitting her throat and sucking blood from the wound to quench his thirst for human blood has been arrested in Mutare.
Recently in Hypocrisy: Naughty Vicars Category
July 26, 2012
Pratlets for 26th July 2012
February 1, 2011
Pratlets for 1st February 2011
- England: It's not just the Roman Catholic Church, latest installment: Stoke-on-Trent imam guilty of sexually abusing boys—BBC News.
- South Africa: Moloto mob held for attacking 'witch'—Times Live.
- United States: Spot the likely miscarriage of justice. Teen Girl Enters Plea in 2009 Covington Murder—WKRC Cincinnati.
- Zimbabwe: Couple charged with imaginary crime. Couple in court over witchcraft plot against Chinotimba—New Zimbabwe.
- India: Impossible complaint found to be false. Cops prove woman's witchcraft complaint false—Times of India.
- Jamaica: DEMONS PLAGUE HIGH SCHOOL? - Students concerned about their safety—Jamaica Star
- United States: Man refuses to credit his imaginary friends. Suggests experience was the key to getting job. Clerk Of Courts Lawyer:
I Communicate With Spirits—WFTV.
- Russia: Pair commit suicide, so obviously it must be the work of Satanists. Suicide search sparks Satanist probe—The Moscow News
- United States: Even nuns lie. Nun Mary Turcotte recants accusation of rape after police release sketch of made-up suspect—New York Daily News
April 11, 2008
See, it really is "Penis Church" after all
England: An evangelical pastor who preached on the importance of fidelity is to step down after admitting adultery. Bishop Michael Reid told his congregation at Peniel Pentecostal Church in Brentwood, Essex,
I confess that I have sinned by committing adultery. I recognise that I have failed in my duties and acted in a way that harmed the church. I apologise to my wife and family and all of you whose trust I have betrayed and ask for your forgiveness and prayers. According to the Daily Mail:
His wife of 36 years, Ruth, is standing by him and is understood to have accompanied him abroad to his other ministry, in the American state of Arizona.
Where he presumably thinks they do not have the internet, nor read newspapers.
Reid had already resigned as director of the Christian Coalition for Traditional Values, and is best known for his role in the campaign against Jerry Springer: the Opera. The only time he has featured in the Prattle is when a Peniel Church billboard in Edinburgh was creatively vandalised.
Update: He might not be doing much in Arizona after all, according to the Michael Reid Ministries home page:
Bishop Michael Reid tendered his resignation from the church board and stepped down from pastoral duties in the church. The reason is that he has sinned by committing adultery and he has unreservedly apologised for what he had done and has taken full responsibility for his actions.
Bishop who preached family values finally admits: I am an adulterer—Daily Mail, 10th April 2008; Pastor resigns post over adultery—BBC News, 10th April 2008; Bad "Bishop" resigns from CCTV—MediaWatchWatch, 8th April 2008. See also Bishop Michael Reid Resigns over Sex Scandal—Bartholomew's Notes on Religion, 8th April 2008, for considerably more detail and analysis of this story.
November 24, 2007
It's not just the Roman Catholic Church, part blah blah blah
Religion seems to be a popular theme right now amongst child abusers. Here's a few recent stories:
- Israel: An influential member of an ultra-orthodox Jewish group who fled to the US 20 years ago amid accusations that he sexually abused children while pretending to be a rabbi faces extradition to Israel. Israel May Extradite Sex Abuse Suspect—Associated Press, 19th November 2007.
- United States:
The Jehovah's Witnesses have settled nine lawsuits alleging church policies protected men who sexually abused children for many years.New evidence in Jehovah's Witness allegations—MSNBC, 21st November 2007.
- Canada: A (now former) Jehovah's Witness elder has been jailed for the sexual abuse of a teenage girl he was supposed to be counselling. Jehovah's Witness elder gets three years for sexual exploitation—Canada.com, 9th November 2007.
- United States: A recently-deceased pastor who faced child abuse allegation admitted French kissing young girls. Pastor Bob Gray Admitted to Kissing Young Girls—First Coast News, 21st November 2007.
- United States: Pastor accused of child rape ruled with an iron hand—Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 9th November 2007.
- United Kingdom:
A retired vicar who administered for the Church of England in Northamptonshire has been charged with sexual abuse of young boys more than 20 years ago.Former vicar in sex case—Northampton Chronicle and Echo, 31st October 2007.
A child protection group has called on the Anglican Church to defrock a priest due for release from jail tomorrow after serving time for child sex offences.Call to defrock pervert priest—The Courier Mail, 7th November 2007.
- United Kingdom:
Thousands of files will be examined in an independent review checking for past cases of sex abuse involving clergy, the Church of England has announced.Church abuse case review outlined—BBC News, 26th October 2007.
And on the ongoing scandal in the Roman Catholic Church:
- United States:
A prominent Chicago bishop is suggesting legal changes that would shield Roman Catholic institutions from paying excessive damages in sex abuse lawsuits. Bishop seeks limits for sex abuse payments—Chicago Tribune, 9th November 2007.
- United States: Former Quincy priest named in sexual abuse complaint—Madison County Record, 14th November 2007.
- United States: Child abusing priest was an all-round hypocrite—
the respected clergyman — who on Sundays preached chastity and abstinence from alcohol — was himself an excessive drinker who engaged in sexual activity with other men. Liberatore trod a well-traveled path to abuse—Times Leader, ? November 2007.
- United States: St. Leo priest faces abuse allegation—Baltimore Sun, 19th November 2007.
- United States:
The Jesuit order of the Roman Catholic Church has agreed to pay $50 million to 110 Eskimos to settle claims of sexual abuse by priests and missionaries in some of the world's most remote villages.$50 million for Alaskan abuse plaintiffs—Los Angeles Times, 19th November 2007.
And finally, a gratuitous bampot:
- United Kingdom:
A Christian leader in the UK says that sexual abuse is the most common cause of homosexuality, and that when a demon is asked to leave, so does homosexual desire.UK Charismatic Leader: Sexual Abuse Causes
Spiritof Homosexuality—Ex-Gay Watch, 16th November 2007.
October 23, 2007
Some stories I missed, or didn't get round to writing about:
- A woman who falsely accused her father of raping her as a child after undergoing recovered memory therapy on the NHS has reached an out-of-court settlement with Tayside NHS. The treatment is responsible for a number of claims of Satanic abuse, though this case had no such elements. Settlement for bogus abuse woman—BBC News, 20th October 2007.
- It seems that it's not only the Roman Catholic Church which has been covering up child sexual abuse by its clergy. The Church of England has a similar problem. C of E child abuse was ignored for decades —The Daily Telegraph, 22nd October 2007. (Thank you to Andrew Ian Dodge.)
- OMFG!!!!! A fictional character is a poof! That should upset the fundies even more. Rowling Says Dumbledore Is Gay—Newsweek, 19th October 2007. (My favourite quote from J.K. Rowling on the matter is in the BBC News version of the story:
Oh, my god, the fan fiction.)
- The case of a Christian magistrate who resigned because his bigotry restricted his ability to do his job has reached an industrial tribunal. Christian JP forced out over gay adoption cases, tribunal hears—The Guardian, 22nd October 2007. See also WWJD?: Lies and Blackmail!—Prattle, January 26th 2007.
October 15, 2007
Suspended cleric blames Satanists
Vatican City: The case of Monsignor Tommaso Stenico, suspended from his high ranking post after he appeared to come out in a TV interview has taken a new and interesting twist.
Monsignor Tommaso Stenico, a capo ufficio, or section head, at the Vatican ministry responsible for the clergy, insisted yesterday he was not gay. He said he had posed as a homosexual to research a plot by satanists.
Sex, lies and videotape: turmoil at the Vatican—The Guardian, 15th October 2007.
October 14, 2007
United States: An Illinois Christian clown has been arrested on charges relating to child pornography and sex tourism after a routine check of his computer on returning from the Philippines revealed pictures of naked boys, and clothed boys showing their genitals. A. Paul Carlock Jr., a.k.a. Klutzo, had an excuse though:
Carlock initially told investigating officers that the images on his computer and camera were photos he had intended to edit so they'd be appropriate to show at his church. He said the photos showed that the boys were too poor to afford clothes and that he photographed the naked boys becausethat's how they live,the affidavit said.
However, officials found one image marked as edited in which the only change was that the edited version had been enlarged, according to the affidavit.
Unfortunately, there was also something else suspicious about his computer:
Officials also allegedly discovered a program on Carlock's computer calledEvidence Eliminator,which authorities said is marketed as being able to erase images from computers to the extent that investigators cannot retrieve them.
Now, it might be that he just wants to be sure that other Christian clowns don't see his confidential business documents, so police checked his house and found
at least 21 other child pornographic movies. And, if that wasn't enough, it seems that boys at the House of Joy orphanage where he had worked
cheering up the orphans has complained of waking up to find him in their beds fondling them.
May 31, 2007
From the fluffy bed into the fire.
United States: A Roman Catholic priest has received a four year sentence after being convicted of sexually assaulting a teenage boy. The sentence is on top of a 14 year one he has already received for sexually assaulting two other boys. The priest, named only as "Evans" in the Rocky Mountain News told the court:
I am a believer in the power of touch. I believe it is very scriptural. Jesus often touched people he was not supposed to touch.
The boy had been sent to the priest for counselling after his parents found books on witchcraft in his bag.
Priest gets four more years for abuse—Rocky Mountain News, 31st May 2007.
May 15, 2007
Dead fundies, and other news.
- United States: Jerry Falwell is dead. As with Andrea Dworkin, I'll stick to my mother's advice about not saying anything if I have nothing nice to say. You may choose to do otherwise. US evangelist Jerry Falwell dies—BBC News, 15th May 2007.
- United States: Wiccan woman on the recieving end of Christian love. Diatribe possible hate crime—Times-Union, 15th May 2007.
- England: A Roman Catholic priest is on trial, accused of paying to have an 11-year-old girl groomed for sex. If he's found guilty, let's see how his church can blame this one on pooves. Priest 'paid for girl's grooming'—BBC News, 15th May 2007.
March 25, 2007
A close shave
Malawi: A witchdoctor's unconventional magic has resulted in a two year prison sentence, with hard labour.
People in Mulanje were going about their daily businesses but for two women and a 13-year-old girl all from the same family it was a morning of lifetime experiences. The three were having their pubic hair shaved with razor blades by a self proclaimed male witchdoctor who promised them the fortune of life.
One by one the three sisters were called into a bathroom a few metres away from their main house where they stripped naked before 21 year old Peter Harawara who sat there touching and shaving their private parts.
The women began to suspect something was amiss when he threatened them with death and demanded sex.
February 14, 2007
France: A correspondent tells me a French science fiction novel has been censored, and it seems to be because the Roman Catholic Church doesn't like to be reminded of their failings. Denis Guiot, editor of young adult science fiction imprint Autres Mondes explains:
The editorial board of Fleurus/Mango Jeunesse has censored Nathalie Le Gendre's novel, Les Orphelins de Naja (The Orphans of Naja), which I had scheduled for a May, 2007 publication in theAutres Mondesline.
The book shall not be published.
The reason why? Nathalie's novel denounces pedophilia in a future Church, on a newly-colonized planet.
The editorial boarddoesn't want any trouble with the shareholders.
Granted, the line is put out by a publishing group otherwise known for its religious output, the number one publisher of missals in Europe, and such a book would surely look unsightly.
Unless the editorial board changes its mind--which is highly unlikely--I am thinking of quitting.
The Autres Mondes imprint is highly regarded, enjoying both commercial success and critical acclaim.
Censorship in France—14theditch, 14th February 2007.
January 26, 2007
WWJD?: Lies and Blackmail!
United Kingdom: It came as no surprise that, while the Prattle was down, a number of interesting news stories would come to light, and that others would run and run. In particular, some religious organisations continue to be upset that same-sex couples have the right to be considered as adoptive parents, and will soon have to receive equal treatment in the provision of goods and services.
One church, in particular, is desperate for the right to be bigoted, even though their own members, and people perceived to be descended from members of that church, have been, and still are, on the receiving end of discrimination. Needless to say, the church which pretends to be so concerned about children is the same one that has a long-standing problem with pædophile clergy, and a history of covering up the child abuse committed by their priests (Prattles passim, ad nauseam).
So, what honourable tactics are being used by the men of God?